Basic Loft Conversion Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Just looking for some advice from anyone who has done a loft conversion.

I'm planning to convert the loft in my 1930s semi which has a hipped roof. I plan to use the space as an office / occasional (very) bedroom - which I realise puts me in the firing line of building regs (!!) I realise there won't be a great deal of head space but this isn't a major issue as I won't be swinging many cats around up there.

What would be wrong with the following basic plan:

*Install roof hatch with pull down ladder
*Sister existing 3x2 joists with 4x2
*Lay floor - 3/4 inch ply
*Install stud walls with timbers from rafters fixed to joists
*Insulate roof/ceiling (floor already has it)
*Clad walls with plasterboard and skim
*Install velux window (get this done by contractor)
*Sort electrics

I'm sure i'm under thinking this and someone will tell me I need to spend 20K getting structural engineers in etc.

Many thanks

Rick

Sponsored Links
What would be wrong with the following basic plan:

*Install roof hatch with pull down ladder
*Sister existing 3x2 joists with 4x2
*Lay floor - 3/4 inch ply
*Install stud walls with timbers from rafters fixed to joists
*Insulate roof/ceiling (floor already has it)
*Clad walls with plasterboard and skim
*Install velux window (get this done by contractor)
*Sort electrics

How long have you got?

Sponsored Links
You forgot the light switches. Seriously now, try £25K.

I'll forget it if that's the only option!

Next door neighbor did his as a hobby room a few years ago for the price of the materials and a couple of weeks work - though he didn't bother with the velux. Granted he didn't go through building regs (wicked man!)

Then just do what he did, seriously though, don't sleep up there, ever.

Thanks Freddie. Wouldn't a smoke alarm and simple fire escape through the velux on to the adjacent flat roof take care of the fire safety?

Not if the flat roof has already burned through or has become seriously weakened.

Id hope the down stairs smoke alarms would have activated long before this!

But seriously what additional fire safety would I need to be building regs compliant? From a common sense point of view it would be about getting out as quickly and safely as possible and I can't see how what I have outlined would be improved much by bigger stairs etc? Surely early warning via decent smoke alarms would enable safe evacuation long before itbecomes a ball of flames?

That's doable - I've seen space saver stairs for a couple of hundred quid which are easy to fit.

Don't have any fire doors at the moment mind - don't know anyone who does! Though there is ony one door on the escape route so not a biggie.

I'm guessing the flooring is the key issue but I only need to reinforce a section between the party wall and supporting internal wall about 10' x 10' in total.

Any other major issues I need to consider?

Oh Jeez, we're not serious, using your loft for an office is one thing but on no account fit a stair or sleep up there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back