Basic paint related questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm confused by the different type of emulsion paints there are out there (brilliant white).
Sheen / soft sheen
Matt
Super matt

Wickes has a buy 1 get 1 half price offer on at the moment and I plan to repaint my whole house white. Am thinking of getting Dulux Trade Diamond Matt Emulsion Paint - Pure Brilliant White 5L

as we have young children so want something washable. As this paint is expensive, I figured that the trade vinyl matt for the ceiling is more the sufficient as I don't expect the kids to brush against or draw on the ceiling.

Assuming the existing walls (both solid plaster and plasterboard in some areas) are a former magnolia colour, can I just use a cheap Wickes emulsion as an undercoat and then one coat of Diamond white?

Sponsored Links
Standard matt emulsion for the ceiling will be fine.

I would strongly advise against trying to get away with one coat of the Diamond matt. Great paint but the first coat almost drags when applied over porous surfaces such as existing matt emulsion. The second coat flows nicely and goes further.

Carefully applied, two coats of the Diamond Matt should cover magnolia but if you are a DIYer it may be advisable to use a decent white matt as a base coat. I steer clear of DIY shed own brand paints and thus cannot say whether the Wickes stuff is any good.

Diamond matt is durable but be advised that if you are too aggressive when cleaning it the area clean can become slightly more shiny. White is more forgiving in this respect than some of the darker colours.

Given that Wickes are only charging £40 for 5L at the moment, paying £60 for 10L is a good deal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back