1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Repainting emulsions kitchen

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by chriselevate, 8 Dec 2018.

1. chriselevate

chriselevate

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I’m looking to repaint my kitchen tomorrow. The walls are nice and smoothly plastered but the previous owner used a “kitchen paint” (dulux) that has a sheen to it.

I’m wanting to matt emulsion the ceiling white and walls in a valspar matt 700 emulsion.

How do I prepare the walls and ceiling prior to painting? Will the new colour “stick” to the old surface or does it need an undercoat etc first?

Thanks

2. sparkwright

sparkwright

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Any grease and dirt needs removing.

Any cleaning product residue needs removing too.

A light sand with a fine sandpaper will ensure a good key for the new paint. Only a very quick rub down, no need to make a meal of it - just in case your new paint doesn't like the old paint with the sheen.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. chriselevate

chriselevate

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Brilliant, thanks.

4. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local