Basic pipework facts please?

Sponsored Links
Glad you got sorted but that *is* rough. Is he really a plumber?

Yeah he's actually a very good one. I know it looks shayte, and I could possibly have done it myself, but we spent some time examining every inch of the pipe, and there just wasn't anywhere it could be done properly - every section of pipe had a problem, from the ground up - whether the pipe was kinked, oval, bent, covered in old solder etc etc.

I'm usually quite critical of tradesmen who do anything that looks like a bodge, but I honestly don't know anything else he could have done, short of digging the conrete up and putting a clean bit of pipe in :confused:

Yeah he's actually a very good one. I know it looks shayte, and I could possibly have done it myself, but we spent some time examining every inch of the pipe, and there just wasn't anywhere it could be done properly - every section of pipe had a problem, from the ground up - whether the pipe was kinked, oval, bent, covered in old solder etc etc.

I'm usually quite critical of tradesmen who do anything that looks like a bodge, but I honestly don't know anything else he could have done, short of digging the conrete up and putting a clean bit of pipe in :confused:

I'd have done what was suggested earlier, sweated the joint off and then gone from there. Any competent plumber would have done - I can only presume he's not able to solder?

I'm no pro but I think back to the toilets.bathrooms I did in a full resto job and they are works of art compared with that. Sorry, but if I'm paying I expect the expert to be better than me.

I'd have done what was suggested earlier, sweated the joint off and then gone from there. Any competent plumber would have done - I can only presume he's not able to solder?

I'm no pro but I think back to the toilets.bathrooms I did in a full resto job and they are works of art compared with that. Sorry, but if I'm paying I expect the expert to be better than me.

I'm no plumber either, but I agree I would have chosen to sweat that off and maybe soldered new on with an appropriate fitting, or failing that (being the OP who perhaps couldn't solder - cut the pipe below the joint and used a compression fitting. Anything would have been better and more professional that what he did.

Sponsored Links
The tiled wall appears to be almost touching the copper pipe ,where the soldered coupler is. Maybe the plumber did not want to risk the torch heat from cracking the tile whilst de soldering and then re soldering a new coupler and pipe section in. I would have extended the copper from an isolation valve ,fitted where the plastic elbow has been fitted,and dispensed with the flexi. I suggested a flexi to the OP thinking it would be easy for him ,a plumber wouldn't need one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back