joining into iron pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I hope someone can advise me on the following,

I want to join into an iron water pipe, and have been told that the only way to do it is to follow the pipe back to the nearest threaded joint and undo it there to connect some new copper pipe in.

The problem is that the pipe has been concealed in the wall and there are no joins accessible.
I've measured the outside diameter of the pipe and it looks to be about 22mm, can I cut the iron pipe and use a brass compression coupling or will it not fit ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
wherever you cut it, you will have to thread it!! have you got stocks and dies?

Google PRIMOFIT, works just like a big compression fitting

No, I was hoping I could get a compression fitting that would fit.
The pipe is so tight to the wall I think it would be very difficult to cut a new thread on even if I had the equipment.

thanks

a 22mm compresion anything will not fit onto 3/4" MI pipe

1 either cut and screw pipe and fit threaded adaptor

or

2 GOOGLE PRIMOFIT

Sponsored Links
Deffo the easiest way is primofit, its a doddle.

If it looks around 22mm it is 1/2" iron.

A primofit is quite a big fitting and is unlikely to fit in the wall unless the iron is already chased in deep. They are only suitable if they are accessible.

You should really bite the bullet and do it right. Find a joint and use a MI adaptor.
It will only need a bit new plaster. Pull the pipe from the wall with a claw hammer or something and it will take the plaster with it and hopefully you may find a joint not too far away

If it looks around 22mm it is 1/2" iron.

A primofit is quite a big fitting and is unlikely to fit in the wall unless the iron is already chased in deep. They are only suitable if they are accessible.

You should really bite the bullet and do it right. Find a joint and use a MI adaptor.
It will only need a bit new plaster. Pull the pipe from the wall with a claw hammer or something and it will take the plaster with it and hopefully you may find a joint not too far away
sounds like a good solution ;)

Hello everyone,
I
The problem is that the pipe has been concealed in the wall and there are no joins accessible.

thanks
IF it runs down/up the wall before it pokes thru`- there will be an elbow :idea: to screw into.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back