Basic Question Plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed some wall paper.

A thin coating came off the wall too, in small pieces and in large areas. I guess this is the skim coat of plaster.

How should I deal with this. Should I put another skim coat over the whole wall, or just where the original skim coat came off.

Can I paint directly on the skim coat, do I need a primer or undercoat.

Thanks

1.jpg
11.jpg
11.jpg
1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Alastairreid

How long do I have to let the skim coat of plaster dry before painting over it

Sponsored Links
Hi

I skimmed the back wall. It was my first go at plastering.

Quite a few small imperfections on the plaster, small peaks and trougths and a few small pin holes

Can I sand these peaks and trougths out, if so how long do I wait to leave plaster to dry before sanding.

Thanks

It looks like the old emulsion came off, rather than the plaster.

Fair play for skimming it though.

You can sand it once the plaster goes from red to light pink- typically 2-3 days.

opps,
spot on - there's no signs of any plaster coming off - skim or backing.

roughcaster, I'm surprised at you, a professional spread, going along & agreeing with the well known drain cleaner's suggestion that the "whole wall" needed skimming.

Alastairreid, Since when has flaking paint needed "whole wall skimming"? Stop being a troll, the OP asked a genuine question. Why are you making mischief for him?

Opps thanks for your advice.

Yes it does look like it is peeled paint. At least you saved me messing around with the other walls

So, for the remaining walls, would I use a patching compound like Easyifill 60 or Polycell Filla to level of the dips in the paint, before painting it again

Stevecc,
As above, its great that you tackled skimming a wall - dont worry about a few blemishes.

The chimney breast in the corner has a vent. Is this chimney breast vent supplying through venting from this floor only or is it venting a flue from a chimney breast in the room below?

The marks on the walls that are blowing the paint could be chemical smudges from the old, unswept chimney flue?
I wouldn't use any Easyfill etc. until you have more idea of why the paint has blown.

tell80 thanks for that, it was quite a bit pressure skimming that wall.

Chimney breat is only on the first floor, it has been removed (I guess) on the ground floor.

The flaking paint is on most walls in that room, probably the most around the window.

There was wallpaper on the wall before, which I removed. Probably 2/3 of the peeled paint was already there underneath the wallpaper, and I about 1/3 came off with the wallpaper that I took off

Drag wood saw over wall to scratch through as quick and easy. Creates a good key that.
Gardz to neutralise paste.
Pva 50 / 50 and skim.
That's one way.

Wayners is that to deal with the painting peeling issue

I would prefer to find another way that does not involve skimming, skimming its quite a big job and can go wrong easy

opps,
spot on - there's no signs of any plaster coming off - skim or backing.

roughcaster, I'm surprised at you, a professional spread, going along & agreeing with the well known drain cleaner's suggestion that the "whole wall" needed skimming.

Alastairreid, Since when has flaking paint needed "whole wall skimming"? Stop being a troll, the OP asked a genuine question. Why are you making mischief for him?
The OP asked how to skim! Read the post .silly troll.

Stop your troll ducking and evading - you give such well bad advice Drain Cleaner.
I ask you again the very simple question: "Since when has flaking paint needed "whole wall skimming"?
You must learn to understand what you are reading & looking at in the pics - its very simple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back