Basin Tap Hammering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just replaced hot and cold taps on really old basin, but new cold tap does odd things -

a) When turned on to low flow it lets water out then stops water flow on its own accord,

b) On certain settings and when turning off it hammers

On closer inspection, the new tap, which is a shroud type from B & Q (Plumb Sure quartz chrome) has a circlip holding the spindle in the body of the tap, but there seems to be some "float" i.e. the spindle can be pulled up and down and hence the valve moves up and down i.e. water pressure can move the valve when not fully shut tight.

I've proved this is the problem by pressing down on the tap when the hammering occurrs and this stops it. (i.e. it isn't loose pipework making the noise)

Question is - is the tap faulty or is the pressure excessive in the mains possibly? (cold tap is connected directly to mains, hot is from tank)

We do also get problems with the washing machine connections leaking when a nearby tap is shut off - you get a small squirt which is cured by tightening the connection again.

No other cold taps in the house do this sort of thing (they are all very old)

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links

Thanks Cider, looked at a tap at a commercial clients site today and it too has "float" i.e. you can reduce the water flow by pushing down on the stem, but it works fine with much higher pressure water with no hammering at all.

Trip back to B & Q I guess, but first I'll have to clean all the mastic off the bottom! Doh! :mad:

dont bother if its duff its there fault not yours, present a bill to them from a plumber for changing it and they may pay ;)

Sponsored Links
dont bother if its duff its there fault not yours, present a bill to them from a plumber for changing it and they may pay ;)

Replaced tap, like for like, no more hammering!
:D
Thanks again.

Didn't try hitting them with a plumber's bill, the lady on returns was too nice, and I couldn't get into irrate customer mode!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back