Water hammer; is it the tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Loud hammer noise when one particular hot tap is turned on. Clears quickly when tap is fully opened, or when a hot tap in the next room is opened. Sounds like the hammering is at or near the tap itself.
Last night I was awoken by a hammer which sounded like it wasn't going to stop. I found the tap was on and running, but my wife is adamant she turned it off when she went to bed. As usual, hammer stopped when the tap was opened wide.
Could a sticky jumper be the problem? The tap is fairly new (10 months old; B&Q cheapish one), so the washer should be good, though I haven't unassembled it yet. Water pressure is pretty high.
Ideas gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
It will be the cartridge in the tap that's causing the problem (although it's not always the one inside the tap that the noise appears to be emitting from).

18D91A2C-153C-4CC9-AC31-52EAF8006A5A[1].jpg

servotech,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back