Bath Taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bath shower mixer tap which is leaking, its old and I'd like to swap it out.

1/. Will any bath shower mixer tap be okay (seen one on screwfix)? I have a combi boiler.

2/. I can see the feeds going into the hot and cold taps, I can get to the cold easy enough but the hot is on the other side of the bath and it's very difficult to get to. I'm sure there's a special spanner type thing I'll need to buy?

3/. I'm guessing it will be easy enough to swap these taps, or am I mistaken? Do I need to buy anything else to complete the job? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you very much for your help.

Sponsored Links
It depends on the individual taps. Some will say they require min 1 bar pressure, some will say 2 bar minimum pressure, although from what i know a modern combi boiler means pretty much most mixer taps will work, although if i'm wrong i'm sure one of the more experienced lads on here will correct me.

In terms of fitting new taps, i installed some last week, and found its easier to atach the taps by using flexible hose connectors rather then using copper pipe all the way to the tap.

I cut the pipe towards the base of the bend on the hot and cold taps, leaving more then enough pipe for the compressing end of the flexi connector, and fitted the tap connectors. I've been told hand tight is almost good enough to make them watertight, although to stay on the safe side i then gave them about half a turn with the spanner.

You will need a basin/bath wrench, and or spanners. I've found in the past that no one tool does the job all the time. Sometimes the wrench gets the nuts off, other times you really have to fiddle around with a spanner as you just can't get a good grip with the wrench. You may even need to use grips!!

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back