Bathroom Basin Nightmare!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all - I hope one of you nice lot can help me!

I have been having a problem with a slow draining bathroom basin for a while now. i have tried the usual unblocking liquids, caustic soda etc etc. I have even taken the waste off and used a long wire to check for blockages and there isn't one - everything perfectly clear. I have tried poking a wire into the overflow got a bit of gunk out but nothing major.

This afternoon I found a wine cork blocking a hole underneath the sink, a hole which looks as though it should be there. I pulled it out and a bucket of water came pouring out! But still I have a slow draining sink and not a clue what this hole is for?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
shame it was only water that came out when you corked it :LOL: :LOL:
seriously though where is the corked hole in relation to sink and is it on top, to the side or underneath the pipe?

Yes, it's a shame that wine did not run freely :D !!!

If you run your hands under the outside of the basin it is underneath on the right hand side.

is this the bottom of the trap? which the old ones had a removable screwed plug to clean them by or is the hole in the pipework after the trap?

a picture would possibly help understand the position of the problem

Sponsored Links
No, the hole in actually underneath on the ceramic part of the basin. I have just been to check it and it is still dripping. I also got the plunger out and tried that and more water came out of the hole. I am wondering whether it has anything to do with the overflow.

I am at the end of my tether! :(

Post a pic for us.

Where does the basin drain into? Is it straight to the stack?

I have tried to upload a picture 3 times but it just is not letting me.

The basin drains under the floorboards and i think via the shower and then to the stack.

The hole is still dripping.........................................

I found a wine cork blocking a hole underneath the sink, a hole which looks as though it should be there.
:confused:

Where is this hole? Is it in the trap or porcelain?

This sounds very much like a blockage and you should dismantle all the waste pipes and clean them out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back