Bathroom drop ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning on fitting a drop ceiling in my bathroom so I can fit spotlights and hide pipes high up the wall... Somewhat going into the unknown but after doing lots of searching, this is my plan:

- Screw 2x4 ribbon around the edges of the walls at the height of the new ceiling
- Fit 2x4 joists across the shortest length of the room from joist hangers attached to the ribbon
- Wire transformers for spotlights and a new extractor fan to the existing ceiling rose- planning a Low Voltage Centrifugal pump as the duct is a good 5m before the exhaust
- Cut holes for spotlights and extractor fan grill in 9.5mm plasterboard with tappered edges
- Cut and nail plasterboard to the 2x4 across the room, fitting the spotlights and fan to the
- Fill and smooth the spacewhere the plasterboard sheets join
- Seal edges with wall with flexible sealant
- Paint

The room is approx 2m x 2m.

A few questions I'd be really grateful if anyone can help:
- Does this sound about right!?
- I'm guessing 6mm MDF would be easier to handle and lighter for the ceiling panels, but I'm worried that where the panels join the join would show up through the paint
- Would I need to plaster the entire plasterboard or would filling the joins of tappered sheets be OK?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you can get someone to do it, plastering would be more straightforward for you.

You may have problems with the edges using flexible sealant.

You didnt mention tape when talking about the joints...this is crucial

Try and use tapered edge boards, it will make filling the joints easier if you go for this option.

If, after taping and filling you can still see the joints you could always opt for papering the ceiling.

MDF is heavy stuff, you're better off with the 9.5mm plasterboard.

I'd use decorator's caulk rather than sealent for any gaps at the edges.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the response, unfortunately I have no excuse not to get started now...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back