Crumbly Plasterboard Bathroom Ceiling Can it be Fixed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bathroom doesn't have an extractor fan, which we do need to get sorted. On a previous trip, my electrician commented that the ceiling of the bathroom was crumbly. I am assuming its best to sort the ceiling before the fan is fitted.

The ceiling is plasterboard and after a shower, you can see the line of the joists. The ceiling seems sturdy to the touch and although it needs bleaching (to kill the mold) I see nothing wrong with it.

I'm hoping I don't have to replace the ceiling.

What can I do to repair the crumbly plasterboard and prevent the mold from reoccurring?

Many thanks,

Justin

Sponsored Links
Just sheet over existing , Mold will persist until you have an extractor fitted , ventilation is the only way to prevent Mold spores setling.

As foxhole said.

When you eventually repaint the ceiling, consider using waterbased eggshell (after first applying dilute emulsion). You should be able to wipe off any mold without the need for beech- that said, hopefully you wont have any mold.

I would strongly recommend an extractor with an inbuilt humidistat. It will run until the relative moisture in the air drops below a predefined level. No need to worry about people forgetting to turn on the lights when showering in the day time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back