Mouldy bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My bathroom ceiling in our new house has gone mouldy pretty quick due to their being a fan in the ceiling i think. Im assuming MR plasterboard wasnt used. Can someone let me know how to sort this problem. Ive looked at Zinsser stain block but do i need to paint that on first then use another paint on top?

Thanks

Lee

Sponsored Links
Have you tried bleach and water first?

have you go a window in said bathroom? If so, open whilst or after you’ve showered/bathed.

usually black spots are poor ventilation.

due to their being a fan in the ceiling i think

Do you use the fan? The fan will reduce moisture and mould, not increase it.

Mouldy bathrooms are caused by a combination of damp and cold. Improve insulation the ceiling, put in a new fan, change the ducting if old and clogged up, check the outlet is not blocked up, and make sure it is heated in winter. If there is no insulation in the external walls, this will be enough to also cause mould along the ceiling by the wall - but not all over the ceiling.

If it is really bad, worth checking there is not something dripped above.

MR plasterboard won't stop the ceiling getting damp

Sponsored Links
Fan is either not used enough or not efficient enough as it prevents spores settling . Mould likes still, damp air .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back