Bathroom Electrics Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to remove an electric shaver socket and install a mirror with lights built in using the power from the shaver socket.

The socket is about a foot away from where the mirror will go (above a sink) and there is a wall corner between them (ie they are on different walls).

I don't want to extend the cable and use a blanking plate as this will look ugly. I am therefore going up into the attic to pull the socket cable up into the roof space, make appropriate length adjustments with connectors fastened in accesible attic space and drop the cable directly down to the mirror.

I would prefer to drop the cable down the cavity (between outside brick wall and bathroom plasterboard) and it emerge dircetly behind the mirror for connection. Firstly is this allowed (the existing cable to shaver socket does this)? Secondly, is there a trade secret to locating the dropped down cable via a hole in plasterboard to fish it through?

Final alternative is to chase out plasterboard from ceiling down to mirror :(

Any thoughts or help please.

Sponsored Links
First, this is notifiable work.

You need to notify before you start work.

Second. Do you mean there is a cavity between the brick and the plasterboard, or is it dot and dab?

The alteration in the bathroom would be deemed notifiable work and require RCD protection.
Dropping the cable between the two leafs of a cavity wall is frowned upon and create potential hazards..
If you have an outside wall that is dot'n'dabbed plasterboarded, you may get lucky threading the cable through over a short distance. But if the boarding has been dot'n'dabbed correctly, I doubt you will be able to without some holing of the board, as there should be a continuous seal of adhesive across the top of the board. You may not need to do one long continuous chase, but may need to hole board to feed cable through.
To be honest you may as well chase out and prevent any damage to cable sheath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back