Bathroom/en-suite venting condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Both have ceiling fans that duct up into the attic and out through roof. I noticed water droplets in bathroom fan a couple of days ago and have been up in the attic to investigate.

The en-suite ducting run has a u-bend in where it drops from the roof vent and had water pooled in it.
The bathroom ducting runs along and up to its roof vent hence no water trap and water made its way down to the ceiling fan. I can form a u-bend to solve the problem but I'd have to go into the attic to drain the water.

TS have condensation traps which I could attach to the fan collars and use 22mm pipe to drain the water off into the soil pipe that exists in the attic.

I welcome comments. Thanks.

full

Sponsored Links
You don't want the u-bend, that is a fault not a benefit, any water gathering in that u-bend is restricting (or even preventing) air flow in the duct. You want the duct to be as straight as possible. Rigid ducting is better than that flexible stuff.

You really want the duct to be insulated in the loft to reduce the chance of condensation forming inside it, insulated ducting is available or you can wrap loft insulation around normal ducting.

Condensation traps are a good idea.

You don't want the u-bend, that is a fault not a benefit, any water gathering in that u-bend is restricting (or even preventing) air flow in the duct. You want the duct to be as straight as possible. Rigid ducting is better than that flexible stuff.

You really want the duct to be insulated in the loft to reduce the chance of condensation forming inside it, insulated ducting is available or you can wrap loft insulation around normal ducting.

Condensation traps are a good idea.
Noted, thanks!

Will invest in condensation traps.

Sadly straight runs are not possible because the roof vents are not directly above the fans.

Sponsored Links
As well as the condensation traps, I may fit non-return valves between fan and trap to prevent draughts.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back