bathroom extractor fan location advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a longish rectangular bathroom. Picture it letterbox shaped (though fatter). Bottom edge on LH s door. Top edge, opposite door is shower head (with a glass swing screen, so a passage of air above the shower screen), above a bath. Next to shower head is an airbrick.

On bottom edge, RH at end, is another airbrick.

We need to fit a powerful extractor to stop mould. We have tenants and they keep the windows shut.

If we site fan next to shower, that will be very close and potentially annoying, even if efficient, as it would draw from the door, 1.5m away, opposite, and from the other airbrick, diagonally down, 3m away.

What we'd prefer to do is site the fan above the loo, 3m from the fan. What I'm understanding, from reading the other queries on this point, is that there's a risk the fan would then draw only from the door, and not much from the airbrick above the shower. Short of creating some sort of mockup using theatrical smoke, are there any other rules of thumb we should bear in mind in making our decision? Has anyone experience of showering with a powerful extractor right next to the shower head (ie, about 40cm)?

thanks very much...

Sponsored Links
We need to fit a powerful extractor to stop mould. We have tenants and they keep the windows shut.
That is your problem. The fan will not solve it.

I am not being flippant but have a lot of experience of tenants, depending upon whom the same property can be a mold-ridden hovel or a spotless little palace.

Sponsored Links
I fitted my extractor above the shower head, but it's an in-line model. You ideally want it opposite the main air source, which will probably be the door if there is a decent gap underneath.

It's probably worth a fresh lick of mould-resistant paint, while you're at it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back