Bathroom extractor fan not working and dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We have moved into a new house in May and from the start the ceiling extractor fan in the bathroom does not operate. We have just latley noticed water dripping out of it. From reading lots of other posts I assume this is condensation? Is this because the fan is not operational?
Also if we replace with a new fan should this sort the problem?
Thanks
Katie

Also I have noticed people talking about a condensation trap, I understand that this is fitted to the ducting between the ceiling and the roof, where is the overflow then drained to?

Sponsored Links
Bathroom extractor fans often have their own isolator switch nearby so check to see that you haven't missed it (sometimes above the door, etc).
The fan could well be faulty though - and it could be a timer type or a simple on /off. this can only really be seen when the fan is taken off the wall or ceiling...usually a one screw job, but do bear in mind you are dealing with mains electricity here.
Try to replace the fan like for like if you need a new one...it saves faffing around with the wiring and back plate.
I'm not sure what you mean by a condensation trap...if its to do with the extractor, its vent pipe shouldn't allow water to collect in it, and should be inclined as such.
John :)

Is the fan actually mounted on the ceiling or above, could be the wrong type of fan is fitted and the condensation has run back into it and blown it.
Most bathroom fans are inline , that is mounted above the ceiling with pipework or hose running to the fan and then from the fan to exterior.

Theres no seperated switch, there is however a fuse socket just outside the bathroom were going to try changing that first and see what happens.
I appears to be mounted on the ceiling and I think it is then attached to a chimney that comes out of the roof. Unfortunatley we cannot access our loft space so its hard to tell for sure exactly what the situation is.

Sponsored Links
Certainly have a look at the fused spur....as the extractor vents directly through the roof, there must be some sort of cowl on the end of the pipe to stop water getting in.
John :)

To be honest haven't a clue make or model it looks pretty old, the place is 10 years old and I reckon it's probably been there ever since....

Yes it does have a cowl, thats why I think and am hoping it should be just condensation!!

Thanks again for replys

After 10 years it could do with maybe a sort out and new pipe

I had the same problem. The ceiling vent cover had filled up with water and affected the electrics. Had to replace the vent, and I drilled a small hole low down in the cover to allow water to escape. All ok now.

I had the same problem. The ceiling vent cover had filled up with water and affected the electrics. Had to replace the vent, and I drilled a small hole low down in the cover to allow water to escape. All ok now.
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. :rolleyes:

? Drilling the small hole in the plastic cover of my ceiling vent directly above the shower allowed any condensation that formed in the bottom of the cover to escape before the water level backed up to the electrics. How is that a potential disaster ? I did not fit the vent, but had trouble with the cover filling with water. Replacement vent works fine, with no condensation build up. You could be right, and I am hoping to learn something here.

If the water can get to the electrics then the fan installed is not designed for that purpose or has been fitted incorrectly and is potentionally very dangerous.I would have an electrician check it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back