bathroom extractor fan questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just couple of questions on backdraught shutter. My fan is a 4inch vent axia which just extracts out of side of bathroom wall in open (on a semi detached house). There is an air brick fitted on the outside but no ducting or backdraught shuttter. I am replacing this fan with new one as its on its last legs. New one will be same size as current one.

1. Do I need any ducting? The fan outlet has to go through the to thickness of wall only. If so will flexible ducting work.

2. Is there any good backdraught shutters with springs to Minimise noise due to wind when not in use?

3. Do the ducting and backdraught should there simply attach at back of fan or do I need to use any adapters or duct tape etc.

Ta

Sponsored Links
Buy a fan with built in backdraft shutters. You won't need ducting if the cavity is sealed around the vent.

Buy a fan with built in backdraft shutters. You won't need ducting if the cavity is sealed around the vent.
Thanks. I bought a fan (envirovent silent 100t) with said shutter but their definition of shutter is a thin, transparent plastic film..

Thanks. I bought a fan (envirovent silent 100t) with said shutter but their definition of shutter is a thin, transparent plastic film..
It might actually work and, if it did, it would be a lot quieter than the clattery (in the wind, when fan off) shutters.

You asked about sprung shutters to minimise that noise, but I rather doubt (but may be wrong!) that the average 4" fan would be able to open the shutters if they were held closed with springs strong enough to prevent clattering in the wind.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
A cowl over the outside of the air brick would help prevent backdraughts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back