Bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small bathroom aprox 6x5 with a shower over the bath,it steams up alot when shower is in use and i wanted to know if the fans that fit into the ceiling (the spotlight one) are any good?

I have 5 spotlights in the ceiling and was thinking of removing the 5th one from the center of the ceiling and fitting the spotlight fan there.

As all the steam will get sucked into the attic (where i store stuff) will the steam do any damage to the beams/woodwork in the attic ?

I do have a 7" airbrick already in the bathroom wall which i know would be better to put a fan there but i dont know if i will get away with it as the fans are 6 " which is better.

Sponsored Links
You don't want to extract directly in the the loft space, that will cause condensation problems.
You could run a duct in the loft to an outside wall though or roof.
But the best option would be to use the air brick as an outlet point and if needs be repair around it.

They do the job. Select one with a run on timer, so that it continues to operate for a time after you turn the lights off.

How are you going to wire it? if you connect it to the main lights then you will have to have all the lights on to operate the fan. OK if your bathroom doesn't have a window and you use the lights every time you enter, but wasteful if it does have a window for daytime light. You will also need a permanent live supply to keep the fan running when the lights are turned off.

You can't just vent the air into the loft, the moist air will condense back into water and cause you many unpleasant and expensive problems. The fan must be vented outside, and the ductwork length no more than three metres. (unless you buy a special fan designed to cope with longer runs) If the duct doesn't slope down towards the outlet, you will need to insulate it and possibly fit a condensate trap, to prevent condensation running back into the fan or bathroom.

A wall mounting fan maybe a better option, but care will need to be taken in selecting one suitable for its location, if it's above the bath for example. If you DIY bathroom wiring, you will need the approval of your LABC and pay their fee.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back