Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there have been lots of questions about bathroom extractor fans and I have read through quite a few of them but I cannot get the answer I am looking for.

I have wired up a new light and it runs to an extractor fan. Unfortunately the way I have wired it means that the extractor fan only works when the light is switched off. Despite several attempts I cannot get the wiring in the light so that the fan works when the light is on.

There are two cables coming into the light - one I assume from the switch and one going to the fan. Both cables have a blue, red, yellow and earth wire. Can anybody tell me how to wire the light so that it works off the light switch and the fan can be put on when the light is on. I will be so grateful for any information as it is frustrating me to the point of insanity!!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
tinap said:
I know there have been lots of questions about bathroom extractor fans and I have read through quite a few of them but I cannot get the answer I am looking for.

I have wired up a new light and it runs to an extractor fan. Unfortunately the way I have wired it means that the extractor fan only works when the light is switched off. Despite several attempts I cannot get the wiring in the light so that the fan works when the light is on.

There are two cables coming into the light - one I assume from the switch and one going to the fan. Both cables have a blue, red, yellow and earth wire. Can anybody tell me how to wire the light so that it works off the light switch and the fan can be put on when the light is on. I will be so grateful for any information as it is frustrating me to the point of insanity!!

Many thanks

its possible that the switch is 2 way and its wired so that the light in on anf fan is off. look in the switch and tell us how its wired

A multimeter would be of enormous help here - if you don't have one, please go and get one....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back