bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to get a new extractor fan for my bathroom. Here is something what puzzles me - why to use low voltage extractor fans as oppose to regular voltage ones? Or vice-verse?

Second question - my bathroom is very small (around 3m2 and ceiling at 2.4). Will it be wrong to install a more powerful extractor, e.g. 100m3/hr?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
The extra low voltage equipment such as 12v can be installed in bathroom zones that your domestic low voltage (230v) cannot, providing it is IP rated correctly for it's location.

Would it be wrong to install a slightly higher performance rated extractor?
Not really.
But it would be ideal to get one that is suitable for the cubic area.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Ventilation/Ventilation4.html

Second question - my bathroom is very small (around 3m2 and ceiling at 2.4). Will it be wrong to install a more powerful extractor, e.g. 100m3/hr?
Most likely it will be better to install a more powerful one. The ratings on how much air is moved relate to ideal conditions with no restrictions on air flow to and from the fan.

Ducting slows the rate of air movement. Corrogated flexible is the worst for this.

Pulling air from a room reduces the pressure in the room and this slows the rate of air movement. ( the extreme case is you cannot remove any air from a vacuum ) so you will need means to allow air into the room to replace the air extracted. That is a large gap under the door for a low powered fan or a smaller gap for a more powerful fan.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this.

So if my fan will be in Zone 2, can I use regular voltage one?

Re how powerful it is, won't a more powerful fan create draught when being on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back