bathroom fan ducting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new bathroom fitted last year with an extractor fan, but it doesn't seem to be very effective. The fan motor is in the loft and ducted to the inlet and outlet (in the soffit) with soft concertina type ducting (as used for a tumble dryer).
Would replacing this with rigid ducting improve the performance?

Sponsored Links
That's a fairly typical set-up for a bathroom extractor.

The only way you're going to get a more powerful airflow is with a more powerful fan - I wouldn't have thought that changing the ducting would make much difference.

it will improve it a little but i suspect in this case not enough to warrant all the work.

how long is the duct run?
how many bends in the pipe?
its not been squashed somewhere has it?

btw,how many litres per minute can the fan extract?

it might not be on overrun for long enough,how long does it stay on for after you turn the light off

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help with this.

Over the weekend we got the info from the fan, a Manrose PFE4321 shifting 85m3/hr.

I emailed Manrose this morning & they've phoned me within an hour. Seems like the length of the ducting may be where the problem lies.

Just wanted to put in a good word for them, very prompt & helpful service.

Thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back