Bathroom Faux Pas.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can some help. Had to create a custom bath panel to replace what was already there. Bought cheap cladding, (tonge and groove) seemed to match what was already there. Cut and fitted without problem (left wood in bathroom for 72 hours to climatise).

Stupidly painted the panels with Matt Emulsion paint :oops: , which of course is water based paint, 2 coats (didn't think this one though!)

My two questions are, firstly should I have used special wood treated for wet/damp/humid areas. Secondly can I paint over the matt emulsion (water based paint) with matt gloss (oil based paint). Will this seal and protect the wood from spills / splashes from the shower etc? Or would I be better buying a glaze or varnish (can someone recommend). Or is it a case of staring over?

Sorry, a bit new to this and making several schoolboy errors due to gusto and enthusiasm.

Please tell me I don't have to start over. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Okay,

Sorry, I meant Gloss paint with a Matt finish. I'm reliably informed this paint is called Satin or Eggshell.

Still a bit new to this.

Sponsored Links
ok...just to help you out, gloss is a finish on its own..as is matt..eggshell and varnish sit between the two, think of it as semi gloss..

You can paint over the emulsioned panel using acrylic varnish, it will protect it and wont yellow like oil based varnish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back