Bathroom floor problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

Quite a while ago, I started noticing a leak around my shower. Every time i used the shower, water would drip down into the garage (directly below the bathroom). I called a plumber and he couldn't find anything wrong and suggested I try resealing the shower again. I did this and everything seemed ok.

Yesterday, I go into the bathroom and when stepping near the shower, manage to put my foot halfway through the floor! When pulling the lino up I could see quite a severe patch of rotted floorboards which were pretty soggy and weak. Looking from underneath (in the garage), theres a very small patch of what looks like damp.

My question really is how big a job is something like this? If it doesn't sound like anything major (cost-wise) then I'll call a plumber. On the other hand if this is something that generally costs a lot, would it be recommended to "have a go" myself?

In the meantime, I can use the bath/toilet in the other bathroom. How quickly can this sort of thing spread, and how long would it take a professional to deal with something like this?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
My advice is, find a better plumber to fix the obvious leak and a joiner or DIY for the floorboards.

Cost is difficult to know without seeing it but generally around baths, showers etc, it can be pretty awkward. At a guess, a joiner might do it in a day so maybe £150 plus materials @£30 but this is a guess!! Lots of other things could be affected by a leak!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back