Laminate flooring suitability bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all, finally seen a laminate floor I really like, but its for a shower room/toilet. And it doesnt say its suitable for bathrooms.

The guy in the flooring place said to me he fits them in bathrooms either way, as long as its not cheap cheap flooring, and uses a PVA sealant between all the laminate floor joints and seals round the edges of the room with silicone also.

Is this something flooring fitters do? or is it a bad Idea?

just very hard to find the colour/pattern Im looking for in anything that sais its suitable for bathrooms

Sponsored Links
I personally wouldnt recommend laminate for a bathroom/shower room
Too much scope for it to go wrong im

21yrs exp floorlayer

Laminate flooring in bathrooms is generally not guaranteed, there are a few manafactuers that will guarantee certain laminate flooring, Quickstep offer a range called Lagune that was fully guaranteed and I have heard people mention a range called Aqualoc.

Make sure you read there guidelines and what they want you to do tho make sure you are fully covered as I know Quickstep recomend a glue to go with there Lagune range.

Sponsored Links
No sensible person would guarantee it, simply as it is to variable.

Will the occupant be careful or will they splash water about. Does the occupant take long hot baths in a badly ventilated room, or is it well ventillated, or do they have short showers, is the shower used several times a day, do they dry washing in the bathroom?

If it's for yourself, you will know whether you can avoid splashing water on it, and you will know how well heated and ventilated the room is and if it is generally "typical" when compared to the rest of the house.

Timber floors can be happily used in bathrooms *if the conditions are right* and *if the user takes care*.

But it's because of those restrictions that no floor supplier or good floor fitter will touch bathroom floors with a bargepole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back