Lamintae flooring in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lay tile effect laminate in my bathroom, how do i go about waterproofing the expansion gap around the edge? I thought about putting a bead of bathroom sealant, thick enough so as it doesnt fal into the gap, all the way around the floor.

Also if i remove the toilet and refit on the top of the flooring is this ok so long as i drill wide enough holes in the laminate when i screw the toilet back down?

Any advise greatfuly received.

Rob

Sponsored Links
It will look crap. Buy some vinyl. Loads better. Water proof with no expansion problems and will look better than laminate.

That is what I did , put mastic around the edge and screwed the toilet thugh it and it looks better than vinyl ever could .

tomy said:
That is what I did , put mastic around the edge and screwed the toilet thugh it and it looks better than vinyl ever could .

At the risk of sounding a bit daft, is mastic the same as sanitary silicone sealant?

Sponsored Links
If you really want to put laminate down then don't skimp on finishing the edges. Yeh, you could give it a bead of silicon sealant ('mastic') but if you do, use clear (translucent) not white. Anything bigger than, say a 4 or 5mm bead of silicon will look cheap & nasty. Laminate floor means using edging strips unless you can get the skirtings off. They're self-adhesive and will look better than a silicon bodge. Mattysupra is right, vinyl give a more 'professional' look. Always lift the bog (& any pedestal of a basin) and go underneath - it'll look better than cut edges.

you should avoid laminate in bathrooms and kitchens
unless there is absolutly minimal water spilled and it is wiped up within a few mins

in other words if you have kids who are messy [or bad aimers]
you are forever clearing up spills and splashes or look forward to replacing the floor within 2 or 3 years :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back