18mm wooden flloring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i want to lay 18mm think wooden flooring ( various lengths from 300 mm to 1400 mm )

can anyone advise the best way to lay this as i have only laid laminate before,

The floor is concrete and understand i may need a DPM ?
( the floorinf company want about 500 gbp for a sticky DPM - for 50 m2 )

Can the DPM just be laid underneath or does it have to be glued down ?

Will the floor be laid in the same way as lamintae ? ie 10mm gap around all ends and the floor basically float ?

If the floor doesnt float and have to be nailed how does this work with the 10 mm gaps around the endges ?

Sponsored Links
Fraid your type of solid floorboards can't be installed floating, you'll have to fully bond them with flexible adhesive, you can't nail into concrete.

The expansion gap depends on the width of the room (i.e. the width of the floor), 10mm is the minimum you can get away with IF the room is not wider than 2.5 meter. Rule of thumb: 3.5 - 4mm per meter width, for instance if your room is 4 meters wide you'll have to keep at least a 16mm gap all around

thanks for the info,

do i need a membrane ?

do i stick the floor to a membrane ?

Depends on if there's a DPM underneath the concrete, if there are moist problems etc.
You normally apply a liquid DPM if needed, then after this has dried you apply the flexible adhesive and bond the wood floor.

Sponsored Links
no problems with damp at all,
the bungalow is 25 years old
i just want to make sure i have everything correct

Hi,

The correct procedure would be to paint two coats of DPM down onto the concrete over two days. Then you should glue the wood floor to the DPM with a compatible adhesive.

You should always leave a 10-12mm gap to allow for expansion.

A two coat DPM should cost around £280,00 for two coats over 50m2

The adhesive should be around £300.00

You should always leave a 10-12mm gap to allow for expansion.
How do you know? You don't know the size of the room!

Again, there's a specific rule of thumb in regards of expansion gaps with solid Oak floorboards: 3.5 - 4 mm per meter width of the room.
For Pine it is 4 - 5 mm per meter, and for beech it is even 7mm per meter width.

what do you think on the following process -

dpm sheet
then peel and stick process ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back