Bathroom Quandry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double power socket (240V) in my bathroom, below the toilet cystern. I believe that this was probably installed when the room was a bedroom (long before we moved in) but must have been noticed when the room was converted as the tiles have been installed behind it.

It currently has child proof "plug-ins" in. The socket is part of a radial circuit. Sadly it is not the end of the circuit and my middle bedroom's power runs from it.

Should I?
A: Leave it as it is.
B: Remove the socket, push the wires through "choccie block" and fit a blanking plate and seal around the edge with mastic.
C: Some other more drastic action involving a professional, floorboards, retiling etc etc etc.

PS: I hope there is not one under the bath too!

Sponsored Links
Get it crimped and shrink wrapped, placed under the floor by an electrician as soon as. i hope its on an RCD at present and your missus doesn't use it for her hair dryer

Thanks,

It's not on an RCD, but at a push I could probably do without the power on this radial for most of the time. Therefore I can remove the fuse.

The sockets in the bathroom are NEVER used.

You could aslo get it crimped shrink wrapped and then the back box filled with resin if unable to place under the floor?

Not sure what others will recommend

Sponsored Links
If the socket is in a location that its not likely to get wet and noone uses it I really wouldn't worry too much about it. The bathroom sockets reg is really about protecting idiots from themselves, if you don't have any idiots in your household then its not a problem.

plugwash said:
If the socket is in a location that its not likely to get wet and noone uses it I really wouldn't worry too much about it. The bathroom sockets reg is really about protecting idiots from themselves, if you don't have any idiots in your household then its not a problem.

What are you on

power socket (240V) in my bathroom, below the toilet cistern

It may well be in the line of drunken fire of wee wee bullets. You seem to be suggesting it's safe :eek:

At a minimum, choc blocks + self amalgamating tape + blank cover + mastic seal on a blank face plate.

Crimps , as suggested would be best.

Could you not consider bringing the socket out the other side of the wall, in to the hall or bedroom and patch plastering / tiling the area?

plugwash said:

I think you need to carefully consider the advice you give on here, especially if you are a qualified electrician. Thats the third time i've seen you respond along the "it'll probably be alright" line and I can't see the point. People ask on here for advice to do things safely. If they weren't interested in safety, they wouldn't ask if anything needed to be done!

The idea is that installations should be inherently safe, not just for those that know about certain quirks and hazardous bits to be avoided. It should be safe for staying guests, babysitters, future tenants, children who know no better!

Whilst I don't think the advice should always be "Part P, don't touch it, pay for this advice" etc, I also think we shouldn't be encouraging out and out bodging/corner cutting!

Show some responsible common sense!

Chri5 said:
At a minimum, choc blocks + self amalgamating tape + blank cover + mastic seal on a blank face plate.

Crimps , as suggested would be best.

Could you not consider bringing the socket out the other side of the wall, in to the hall or bedroom and patch plastering / tiling the area?

A mixed bag of advice from you chaps. At least there isn't a clear cut answer that Ihave stupidly not thought of!

I would love to take it out the otherside of the wall, but it would then be an external socket 10 feet in the air! (You weren't to know!)

If I get it crimped and resined under the floor, does this count as a junction box? At present I have bare floorboards but in the future I plan to put down hardboard /ply and lino. Therefore am concerned that it might not be accessible enough.

Yes-that makes it a permanent joint.

As does crimping + heat shrinking each crimped wire + self amalgamating tape / or an over sheath of the 3 crimped wires with larger bore heat shrink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back