A ringless design... your thoughts please?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses,

I understand what you mean aboot loading, and of course a separate circuit for each appliance (a la Johnny Foreigner) is the best way, but as I'm going to be using an all RCBO setup costs could quickly escalate.

Of course, with everything on, each 20A radial would be overloaded, but this would also be the case on a 32A ring. How many kitchens have W/M, D/W, kettle, microwave, health grill, toaster, (deep-fat fryer up here too!) etc all on a 32A ring? Lots I reckon, but due to the unlikelihood of everything being on at the same time (and most things being used for a short time only) this doesn't seem to be an issue.

As for losing the boiler, whilst I am determined to have the boiler non-RCD, I find it nearly impossible that a switched-off appliance could trip an MCB whilst I'm away thus losing the boiler.

You're probably right. ;)
The reason i suggested was more along these lines:-
Winter, dishwasher set to run late in evening, house holder goes to bed, d/w develops a fault during the night, mcb trips. The first you know about it is when you get up in the morning and the flat is freezing cold. As you have a combi, you'll have to find which appliance is faulty, disconnect and reset trip, before you can heat the place and have a shower.

I know what you mean about escalating costs every time you add and RCBO, but if the cabling to the boiler doesn't require RCD protection, then its only a couple of quid for an extra mcb

Just thoughts...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back