kitchen radial circuit rating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am going to install a radial circuit to feed all of the sockets in my new kitchen, there will be 5 double sockets in total with two being used only for the extractor hood and the cooker sparker, one will have a washing machine and dishwasher permanently and the other two are counter top ones for general use.

What rating should the radial be - it will have its own fuseway all to itself? 15Amp 20Amp 30Amp ??

TIA

Gerry

Sponsored Links
If you are using 2.5mm T&E then usually 20Amp providing no derating is necessary.

I'd be tempted to run a ring though or use bigger cable as 20Amps is sailing pretty close to the wind if you are running a washing machine and a dishwasher - especially if they both decide to switch on their heating elements at the same time.

A 4mm radial will go to 30Amp I think (depending on length and again any derating due to insulation etc...) but 4mm is harder to work with and it'd would probably just be easier to run a 2.5mm ring.

What's the reason for the radial anyway?

Dan

It will be a radial because that will be a millin times easier to install as there is an existing feed to an unused cooker control that I am going to hijack and to run a new cable would be a nightmare in my flat. So it will be 4mm to the kitchen and 2.5 to the sockets. [/quote]

If you do as your suggesting you will be restricted to a 20amp fuse/mcb
due to the use of 2.5mm to the sockets.
As already said use 4mm cable from the cu for the circuit and then you can use a 32 amp fuse/mcb.

Sponsored Links
Not quite, it's 4mm all round, from the CU and to all sockets

If I did it in 2.5 and hence use a 20A circuit would there be enough juice to power all of the appliances?

I have just read the following from this site:

Radial circuits can therefore only serve a smaller area. Using 2.5mm2 cable combined with a 20amp fuse/MCB an area of 20 square metres (24 square yards) is permissible. For 4mm2 cable combined with a 32amp MCB or a 30amp cartridge fuse (a re-wirable fuse is not allowed) an area of 50 square metres (60 square yards) is permissible.

Why is a rewireabl fuse not allowed?? Its rewireable fuses that my fusebox takes!

And I would use individual outlets for the dw and wm.

That lot on one 13A outlet would overload it!

cuprager said:
Why is a rewireabl fuse not allowed?? Its rewireable fuses that my fusebox takes!

iirc the technical reason is because a rewirable fuse has a fusing factor of 2 and the others have a fusing factor or 1.45, hence the derating factor for rewirable fuses being the ratio 1.45 / 2 = 0.725. The rating for 4mm² flat twin and earth cable clipped direct is 37A, hence when using a rewirable fuse its maximum fuse size without any other derating factors is 26.8A, for which a 30A fuse is too large.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back