a radial, a ring, it's a kitchen thing!

This is a fifteen-year old thread.
Load of piffle. If there is a double socket it's there to be used. If it can't handle the load it shouldn't be there.

It's like saying your car brakes are good on small hills but not big ones.
A double socket is rated at 13A total just like a single socket. Although they are type tested to 13A on one outlet and 7A the other outlet for a certain time and temperature rise. Not a good idea to run two heavy loads circa 13A or so each on one twin socket.
However, many loads cycle such as washing machines, ovens etc and some loads are very short duration such as say 10A kettles so you`d often get away with it. only one appliance in the 2 to 3KW range is advisable . Example I would not run 2 x 3KW heaters off one twin although nowadays it`s most likely that heaters/fan heaters are limited to 2KW even then not advisable to run 2 off the same socket and best to avoid 2 off the same (2.5) T & E radial really. In fact if you run 2 or more so 3 x 2KW appliances off a ring final circuit then you are using an appreciable amount for that circuit leaving not a lot for other things

Obviously one reason that helps you often get away with running two appliances such as washing machines and ovens is that the thermostats cycle rather than on permanent full load. Much in the same way you might run a 15KW cooker on a 32A/30A MCB or a 30A fusewire but you would never run a bog standard 9.6 KW electric shower on such a circuit because you`d allow for full rated load at all running times (and yes, sometimes you would get away with it - in fact years gone by I have seen quite a few "Dolphin Showers" run in a bathroom from the back of a bedroom socket on a ring and they had been used for years with little discernible effect but it would worry me to death though

This is a fifteen-year old thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back