Kitchen 2x radials or ring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The kitchen has a galley layout and our new gas hob and oven only need a 13a supply. I'm wondering if I should run both sides of the kitchen on 2 radial circuits on 2 20A rcd protected mcbs at cu rather than a 32a ring Is there any issues with this?

Left side has: under counter freezer, wash mach, dishwasher and 2 double sockets

Right side: under count fridge, 2kw elec oven & gas hob, extract and 3 double sockets

Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Running two radials is absolutely fine.

Also, consider running seperate radials for the fridge and the freezer (this is done to protect them from defrosting due to a fault somewhere else tripping the RCD). Depending on the total load of the circuit, you may also want to consider putting the cooker on a seperate radial.

By the way, will running two radials make it easier to wire up, or is it purely a design question?

The down side, is that someone may turn off one of the 20A breakers thinking that the whole kitchen is turned off, so the CU will have to be labelled clearly.

Sponsored Links
20A breakers have always struck me as a bit small for kitchen circuits. The chance of having two 3KW appliances in use in a kitchen at once is pretty almost a certainty and with a pair of 20A circuits the chance of both of them being on the same circuit is pretty high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back