New Kitchen Ring, or Radial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing new kitchen that has all integrated appliances compared to freestanding for the old one. Existing kitchen appliances were connected to the downstairs ring via cuboard mounted sockets. I intend to disconnect these sockets from the ring and run a new dedicated circuit from the CU for the large appliances only.

This would be with 20amp DP switches above the worktop to single sockets under the worktop, 1 per appliance for isolation (except for the FF). I`d then leave the existing ring "as is" for above worktop socket use, for stuff like kettle, toaster, fryer, etc.

The new appliance only circuit runs from the CU via a 32amp mcb and would feed a Tumble Dryer, Dishwasher, Single Oven, Side by Side Fridge Freezer, and Washing machine. Single oven is not the main use oven, the setup uses twin ovens, the main oven is rated much higher and on the cooker circuit with hob.

My Question is, does this sound ok, if so would you run it as a 2.5mm ring, or a 4mm radial?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
2 x 32A radials with that load. Add it up, and factor in how likely it is that X appliances will be in use at the same time...

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
2 x 32A radials with that load. Add it up, and factor in how likely it is that X appliances will be in use at the same time...

? But I stated running a new single 32A circuit, from a spare 32a MCB, either radial or ringmain. There is not any other spare space fopr additional MCBs. Absolute maximum total load of everything appliance wise would be 8650w (37.6A), typical load is less then half that.

The existing ringmain managed before with the same amount of appliances, except for the addition now of a small single oven. The FF can always be put on the ring main, as thats not a built in appliance thus reducing the load on the appliance radial.

Are you saying run 2 32A radials just for the appliances, or to create a 32A radial for the kitchen sockets and another 32A radial for the appliances?

Any reason for the Radial over a ring main for this also?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back