Bathroom rad summer circuit - TRV or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My existing system is an S-Plan. While having a lot of CH pipework changed, I am having the bathroom radiator removed from the heating zone and onto its own summer circuit, essentially a third zone but without a valve. Then, whenever either the heating or hot water are being pumped, the rad will get warm, the main benefit being to have a bit of heat to dry the towels even if the main heating doesn't cut in.

I would like a TRV fitted to the bathroom radiator, my reason being to stop the temperature in the bathroom from being too high.

My heating engineer says not to fit a TRV, because it defeats the objective of the circuit. When the ambient temperature is high, which is the time when the heating is off, the bathroom rad would not heat up. That is a valid point.

However, on very hot summer days I would not necessarily need much, if any, heat from the rad. It's the in-between such as cooler summer days that I see the circuit being of benefit.

For info, the bathroom circuit will not be acting as a bypass, nor does it need to as a separate bypass with ABV is being fitted to replace the existing permanent bypass.

Any views on whether to go for the TRV or not?

Sponsored Links
you must have more money than you know what to do with.

why pay a heating engineer whose skill you doubt for a job that does not need doing?

why dont you just get an elecy element fitted for them summer days.sounds lest costly then getting it zoned.

The reason not to have a TRV is because often the bathroom rad acts as an over-run heat sink for the boiler - a sort of by-pass. This may not apply in your case so do what you like !!

Sponsored Links
ok its expensive, but the idea does work. the eng is just trying to save you money, which is good, but as youve explained it wont have a negative effect on the system. go for the autobypass as holty suggests.

electric element would require more work to install safe electrics in the bathroom.

The reason not to have a TRV is because often the bathroom rad acts as an over-run heat sink for the boiler - a sort of by-pass. This may not apply in your case so do what you like !!
hes allready said theres a bypass in place. :)

and hes have the auto bypass

Ok, I need to clarify a few things here

> a job that does not need doing?
In your opinion. Not everything needs to be done to the bare minimum, lowest common denominator

>why dont you just get an elecy element fitted for them summer days.sounds lest costly then getting it zoned.
I considered this, but with the circumstances as they were, the altered pipework involved relatively little work. An electric element would cost about double, DIYing it probably triple (if I stayed within the rules).

>bypass
gavinda - thanks for spotting the bathroom rad isn't one

What is boils down to is bathroom radiator that also heats with the hot water on but is not a bypass. Fit TRV or not?

my bathroom rad is installed like that. It is essential to have a TRV. Otherwise it will be very hot (almost) all the time, whether needed or not.

you also need to throttle down the lockshield a lot or it will try to steal all the flow.

BTW I think it is very convenient for keeping towels warm and dry, and heating the bathroom even when the heating is off, esp when you get out of the bath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back