Bathroom Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Our bathroom radiator is a pain. We suspect the extractor fan isn't working in there and the bathroom is damp causing some issues with anything metal. The Radiator paint is peeling off and rusting, and there is a very slow but very real leak coming from one of the pipes. I think this is because of the way it is fitted. The pipe is bent out and up and the olive just doesn't sit right with the nut and lets a tiny drop of water out. Over the past couple of years (new f***ing build as well) this has ruined the skirting, the wall and small put of floor boards are damp. Causing issues as you can imagine so i want to replace it. (also looking at extractor issue)

What i want to do is put a towel radiator in and raise it from the floor so it's in the middle of the wall. The pipes come up from the floor but are right against the wall.

How do i do this? I thought i would need to get under the floor and run the pipes up the wall and out at the points the radiator would be. My Dad thinks that because the pipes are against the wall, they could be pushed back into the wall? The floor is tiled and when i was replacing a couple of broken tiles a while back they were a freaking nightmare to get up. Is it possible to push pipes back into a wall or can i cut a localized area around the pipes to run them up?

I've attached a picture of the troublesome radiator if it helps.

Attachments

• 20151117_160712_resized.jpg
    20151117_160712_resized.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
Hi there ,you can't just push the pipes back in the wall,easier to drain system down,remove old rad , hang your new rad (which maybe won't warm the bathroom as good as a panel rad)! and repipe to the new towel rad in surface chrome pipe connecting off the existing pipes,that way your not pulling tiles up an digging the wall out.

are you sure that you want a towel rail ?it wont heat the bathroom it is as the name suggests a towel rail you do get combinations that have a radiator and a towel rail above which might be your best bet

Thanks for your reply and advice. I'm not too keen on the pipes up from the floor look though. So if i was going the route of running the pipes up and out of the wall, would i have to take all tiles up or could i take those around the radiator? The floor boards are not really individual boards of wood. More like large sheets of chipboard. That pic is old. I now have thick vinyl over the tiles as they were just to hard to get up

Sponsored Links
are you sure that you want a towel rail ?it wont heat the bathroom it is as the name suggests a towel rail you do get combinations that have a radiator and a towel rail above which might be your best bet

The Victorian ones look nice but look even harder to install.

Saying that i could also get one that is off the floor. It's an option but what i want is no pipes coming up through the floor regardless of type of radiator so i can get some nice skirting in without having to cut it to make way for those pipes. How to i go about this with the info above?

Hi yes you can do it the way you want ,as you describe, it's the more involved way and you will need to be at best handy at plumbing and selecting the correct fittings etc,and maybe the tiles will come off whole for you who knows! Source the rad you prefer first as a start from your local plumbing Counter or the b an Qs etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back