Bathroom refit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening :)

I've removed the "inner" layer of tiles that was loose in places ready for a new bathroom, and about to do the plumbing for the new suite. A couple of questions, I can give photos if needed:
  • There was a rectangular grill high up on an external wall, behind this is a square hole leading through the wall (9 inches thick) to an external grill. I believe it used to be from a boiler. The hole in the wall between the two grills was filled with newspaper. The newspaper was dry enough, presumably as the external grill is at the very top of the wall and protected by the eaves so not much moisture comes in. Can I fill the gap and tile over where the internal grill was, which would look much nicer, or does it need to have a measure of ventilation still? There's no extraction fan at the moment.
  • The pipework coming up from downstairs (hot and cold) is 15mm, then goes to 22mm for a long run. I've been advised that keeping a run of 22mm to the shower will help with pressure, but the person who told me this was not aware that the 22m actually came out of 15mm. Is it worth running some of the piping in 22mm round the bathroom until the shower, or as there's a good section (at least a metre) of 15mm already is there no point?
  • Lastly, the layer of tiles that I have now come to is really solid - I presume OK to tidy up the surface and tile onto these?
Many thanks,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Update, decided to fit an extractor fan, found a really quiet one.

Would be grateful for comment on the 22 or 15 pipe query please.

If you have a combi boiler & the output from it to the DHW is 15mm then there is no point in increasing to 22mm anywhere else. It may be different for other systems.

Sponsored Links
If you have a combi boiler & the output from it to the DHW is 15mm then there is no point in increasing to 22mm anywhere else. It may be different for other systems.

Thank you, that's what I thought too. It is combi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back