Bathroom Tap Jams Up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced the compression washer valve on my bathroom hot tap many times. The hot tap only lasts about a year before needing replacing again. The hot tap will jam up especially if it is already hot, making it very difficult to get any water out. Repeatedly turning on & off helps a bit.
When I replace the valve I can not figure out what is causing the problem as it freely works in my hand. I have a low water pressure system supplied from hot water tank topped up from cold water tank in loft. Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Strip the valve completely, dry it off then apply lots of silicone grease to all moving parts/seals/O rings.
Will last a bit longer then.

Thanks Kidgreen61 but I always do that when fitting. Is it possible that when the tap is closed the shaft comes too far out of the hex, jamming up initially & then reseating correctly when opened & closed a few times? I wonder if the washer is thick enough.

Sponsored Links
I have fitted yet another new compression washer valve which works fine. As I removed the old one I made sure the tap was in the fully closed position. It had not unscrewed too far as I thought. I could screw it out further, (using the splines) but it would not screw in at all. When I dismantled it I could see that water had got past the small jumper o ring seal & into the screw threads causing a hydraulic lockup. Once the water was removed it worked fine. Next time I will fit a new o ring (if I can get one) & try that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back