Bathroom thumb turn lock problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am completely stuck here. I am replacing separate deadlocks on the bathroom doors as my 3 year old is now able to lock them. I have purchased two handlepairs with integrated thumb turn locks so the doors can be opened from outside if needed.

I have tried fitting one using the existing sash, all seemed good, locked from inside and couldn't open the door. Tested when locked and outside and the door opens - not ideal.

It appears that the outside handle can be depressed enough to allow the latch to retract most of (but not all) of the way.

I tried again with another set and had the same problem, is this a common issue or am I missing something?

Attachments

• 20240104_142536.jpg
    20240104_142536.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240104_142539.jpg
    20240104_142539.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
Had a problem with my bathroom set , the latch itself was the problem (worn) so replaced and it fixed it .

Thanks foxhole. Will give it ago, think I have spare new latch in the loft.

Sponsored Links
Well, it's not the latch, replaced with new (although to make matters a little more complicated it had to have a slightly larger barrel) still having the same problem. So that's new handles, new spindle, new latch.

I would rather use the integrated thumb lock for aesthics but starting to feel I will need to put in a separate lock.

Not sure why the handle lock cam is only on the thumb turn side, think if it was on both it would solve the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back