Bathroom ventilation - No window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Although I have just registered I have browsed this site for useful tips over the years so thanks for that help.

I have searched the forums and can't find an answer for my specific situation.

I have an internal bathroom with no window. I have an extractor fan fitted that runs during and after showers for hours. After my daughter's marathon showers the room has a musty damp smell (no leaks, have checked everything twice).

I recently replaced the flooring and basically sealed the room at floor level. In doing this I think I have stopped extractor moving the wet air from the bathroom as the small gap under the door is the only ventilation to allow the air to move.

Is an air vent to the hallway, another ceiling vent to the outside or just leaving the door open (after the shower!) possible solutions.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The latest regs require that the door be undercut by 10mm no less so making the gap bigger may help. Otherwise as PBD says fit a better fan.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the speedy replies. I will do the simple thing first by cutting the door for 10mm gap.

PBD, the fan is new (house just renovated) but I don't think it is very good as same model in the utility room barely lifts the gravity flaps on external vent (300mm pipe).

I will review the situation after cutting door and think about the fan upgrade.

Cheers

Could also cut a hole in the door down low, and fit a vent. Although it depends on the door type/colour/vent type as to whether it will blend in or look like a caretakers storeroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back