Bathroom wall coverings...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another Q!

If I decided not to tile my bathroom and just painted the walls is this ok?

What is the best kind of paint to use and are there any serious disadvantages to not having the walls at least part tiled?

Sponsored Links
Its not just what type of paint is best to use in Bathroom. I say thes cos you must explain what the surfaces are like at present before any recomendations can be given ?

Thanks for the reply!

The walls are constucted in blockwork and previously the walls have been tiled. We removed all of the tile adhesive to get us back to the bare plaster underneath, its come up looking like a freshly plastered room.

So the walls are in good condition just very bare and I guess porous at the moment!

Strange how the tile adhesive came off so easily ! Is the plaster painted or is it bare plaster or is it bare plaster with a shine to it ?

Sponsored Links
It wasnt easy!

I used a steamer to soften it and then scraped it off! I was really supprised how well it came off!

The plaster is bare with a shine to it with a few areas that I have patched in with filler around where the bath was...

Try painting with a couple of coats of ordinary emulsion watered down enough to make application easy enough. Then a couple of coats of proper bathroom paint (I prefer Crown). I would suggest at least part tiling the walls though. Water splashes can cause marks on emulsion, and it will obviously be a lot less hardwearing that ceramic tiles.
Make sure you stir the bathroom paint properly though - the first time I used it, I was doing my bathroom blue, and discovered nice purple stripes on the wall!

nusku said:
Another Q!

If I decided not to tile my bathroom and just painted the walls is this ok?

What is the best kind of paint to use and are there any serious disadvantages to not having the walls at least part tiled?

I come across quite a few bathrooms with just painted walls, though there is usually a row of tiles round bath/sink (splashbacks). Traditionally solvent based eggshell was used in bathrooms, nowadays I use dulux quick drying eggshell, its a lot easier to apply than the retail kitchens and bathroom stuff which IMHO is crap.... low open time = difficult to keep a green edge= runs and brush marks and shadowy finish.. On the other hand I have done bathrooms (walls & ceilings) in vinyl matt and still looking good several years later..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back