What's Best for Bathroom Walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment our bathroom is 1/3 wallpaper that has been painted with bathroom paint, the rest of the room is covered in tiles which is much better, but I can't afford to tile the whole room.

I plan to get the walls striped & plastered to even the surface, but what's next?

Is it best to re-wallpaper & paint, or can I use bathroom paint straight on the plastered walls? The reason why I ask is that the existing paper is starting to come off.

Thanks in advance. :)

Sponsored Links
At the moment our bathroom is 1/3 wallpaper that has been painted with bathroom paint, the rest of the room is covered in tiles which is much better, but I can't afford to tile the whole room.

I plan to get the walls striped & plastered to even the surface, but what's next?

Is it best to re-wallpaper & paint, or can I use bathroom paint straight on the plastered walls? The reason why I ask is that the existing paper is starting to come off.

Thanks in advance. :)

Personally I'd paint, rather than plaster. Then you won't have to worry about wallpaper getting damp and peeling in the future.

Let your new plaster skim dry, then paint with a cheap contract emulsion, thinned with water (I thin by up to 40% but opinions differ). That will provide a good base for the bathroom emulsion you want to use.

cheers
Richard

I would paint as well.Do it well and you won't have to worry about it for a good while.

Sponsored Links
the way i'd go in a bathroom assuming the new plaster is properly dry is,
2 thin coats of a contract type emulsion thinned 20/40 % , followed by 2 coats of dulux acrylic eggshell also thinned with just a splash of water just to aid application, :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back