Wallpapering and painting in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Existing Bathroom has a mixture of wall tiling around the bath, shower (over the bath) and basin and wallpaper to the remaining walls. The ceiling is artexed and painted.

Wall Tiling.
The wall tiling is old fashioned but none of the tiles are damaged, so I would like to paint the tiles instead of removing them.
Are there special 'waterproof' paints that I should use on the tiles, particularly given that some of them are around the shower and will get drenched?
Can you recommend any trade names or suppliers?
Do I need to prepare the tiles in any way before painting?

Painting the Walls and repainting the artexed Ceiling.
Following removal of the existing wallpaper, if I want to paint the walls, do I need to prepare/prime the walls before painting?
Ditto the existing painted artexed ceiling?
Are there special mould resistant paints that I should use for the walls and the ceiling?

If I Wallpaper instead of painting.
Following removal of the existing wallpaper, what do I need to do to the walls to prepare them before repapering?
Are there special papers available, specifically for Bathrooms?
Would a form of lining paper be an option or is this totally the wrong product to use?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Mr M

Sponsored Links
Following removal of the existing wallpaper, if I want to paint the walls, do I need to prepare/prime the walls before painting? ..Prepare?..who knows?..depends on how bad you walls are and whats on them already..one thing you must do though is make sure you scrub all the existing paste resiude off first..otherwise the paint wont take.

Ditto the existing painted artexed ceiling? Ditto above

Are there special mould resistant paints that I should use for the walls and the ceiling?..there are but your better of keeping the room well ventilated instead..paints with fungicide etc could be harmful if theres condensation in the room.

Can you recommend any trade names or suppliers? Dulux Crown or Johnstones get my vote

If I Wallpaper instead of painting.
Following removal of the existing wallpaper, what do I need to do to the walls to prepare them before repapering? again, it depends on whats on the walls now..can you be speific?

Are there special papers available, specifically for Bathrooms? vinyls dont absorb water..but could pose a problem if you have condensation..ordinary vinyl coated paper should be ok too

Would a form of lining paper be an option or is this totally the wrong product to use? ordinary lining paper will be ok..or you could get the new type where you paste the wall..under paper id go for 1000 grade

Can you recommend any trade names or suppliers? see above

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back