Removed wallpaper and paint flaking help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have removed the wallpaper from the walls in my lounge and wallpaper on the ceiling and walls using a steamer.
However after removing the wallpaper there seemed to paint paint underneath the wallpaper which was flaking and plaster is visible in some areas.
I want to paint the ceiling and re-wallpaper the walls in the lounge.
how do I go about doing this with the flaking paint on the walls?
I have attached a picture.
http://postimage.org/image/3sll74093/
Thanks a lot :)

Sponsored Links
I find a metal scraper is quicker and far less dusty than sanding.

Any paint that is so firmly adhering that it will not scrape off can stay.

scrape the lose then give a coat of paint then fill were needed then sand down and touch up the filled then give a final coat of paint

Sponsored Links
I'm having the same problem, only the patches on my ceiling are everything from 30 - 40cm to just a few mm. Would it advisable to just get the ceiling replastered? Or what about that Polycell Smoothover stuff would that be any good in this case?

I'll never ever ever put paper on the ceiling, the last home owner had wood chip up there with about thirty coats of paint on it, very frustrating to remove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back