Advice about painting flaked ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have read through most threads with similar titles but did not seem to find an exact match to my problem, so asking....

I have a ceiling 3 m x 5 m which was covered with textured wall paper. While stripping off the wallpaper I noticed that there was a layer of emulsion underneath it. After stripping off the wallpaper about 60% of the area is back to plaster surface, the emulsion came off (flaked off) with the wallpaper. The other 40% is still covered with the emulsion. In some areas the paint is almost complete and in some areas with flakes down to a few millimetres across. What is left is adhering quite well to the ceiling and is difficult to chip off. :cry:

I want to paint the ceiling a matt white (Dulux matt emulsion).

Please advise what I should do with the remaining flaked areas to prepare for painting.

1) Sanding ??
2) A Polycell product??
3) Bite the bullet and chip off all paint ??
4) Any other tip ??

I am afraid if I paint now I will see all the outlines of the flaked edges. :(

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Try a steamer. I did it once with a similar situation and the old emulsion practically fell off. Lightly run a scraper through it and it should come off easily. Just be careful of the old plaster when scraping it off. I may be wrong, but if the ceiling was painted straight off without any sort of primer, i.e mistcoat or the like, then the emulsion had nothing to key to, therefore coming off quite easy. Give it a go. If that doesn't do it, I don't know any other suggestion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back