Flaking bathroom ceiling paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to re-paint a bathroom ceiling. At present, the paint just above the shower is flaking off. Not sure what was used, just a matt emulsion I think.

I was just wondering what would be the best paint to use to prevent the peeling occurring in future. Is there something better than 'kitchen and bathroom paint'?

Sponsored Links
Whenever I've had serious flaking problems I've given a couple of coats of oil based undercoat to stabilise things. I've had good results with it.

on top of the undercoat - anything you wish, emulsion, matt or silk , I often use eggshell in steamy bathrooms, it copes with humidity & wont flake

Sponsored Links
As an aside, could you do the same onto bare plaster i.e. couple of undercoats straight onto the plaster?

Not really. The first coat has to soak into the plaster and harden. To do that you water it down by 25 - 50%. Then when that's dry you can give it a couple of coats of oil undercoat.

if it was bare plaster you wouldn't need the undercoat cos there is no paint to flake , just put 1 or 2 coats of emulsion thinned by about 30% then 2 coats of oil eggshell , no amount of steam from a bathroom will shift that :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back