Ceiling was woodchip, now painting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed woodchip paper that was expertly glossed over from a ceiling very high in places.
What was left behind is a very thin layer of paint, that has flaked. The paint is sound, and difficult to scrape off unless it has flaked. I'm certain the flaking is where the wallpaper removal has pulled the paint. It is random, and does not appear to be problematic in specific areas.

It's my intention to paint the ceiling white. I was going to throw up 2 layers of Matt emulsion. But I'm wondering if it may require a mist coat?

It looks like there is only one layer of paint, and a very thin one at that. And in the patches the plaster is visible. The layer of paint and patches don't look like they would show through 2 coats of emulsion and the flaked parts will be removed and sanded.

In short, I'm unsure whether a mist coat is necessary as it has been painted once, but I don't know if it was a mist coat. Will another do any harm?

Or should I aim to remove the paint? My concern is it will be difficult and too time consuming.

Any help is appreciated,

Lloyd

Sponsored Links
If its distemper it will cause problems. If unsure I would give a coat of Zinsser Gardz. This will sort any problems you may have. Then coat up with whatever your putting on the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back