Flaking Paint on plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have stripped a small room in my house of wallpaper, the plaster underneath has been part painted, whoever did it didnt give it a soaking coat initially and some of the paint is flaking, now I dont want to have to spend 100 hours trying to remove all this paint.

Is there a good tip for dealing with this which will

a.) Prevent flaking after the new paint has been applied.
b.) Stop the flaked off depression showing through the new pain.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There is no quick answer to this. Where ive had flaking paint areas, i've sanded as best i can, applied OIL based paint - stain block, or undercoat. sanded again and feather in with emulsion.

Its alright for small areas, but if there are lots I would say the effort wont justify the results - you can always tell a bit.

If you want a good overall finish, i would consider lining the whole wall and painting on that.

regards,

Andy

Always remember though if you're sanding back to bare plaster to put a coat of alkali resisting primer before you apply any OIL based paints ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back