Beginner: How do I remove wallpaper, prepare walls & rep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I’ve just moved into a new house and am going to attempt decorating (completely new at this so please bear with me!!) wanted a bit of advice on wallpaper/painting…

Every room (excl Bathroom & kitchen) is covered in a horrible, thick textured wallpaper that has been painted and painted over. From the looks of it, it’s been up for a long time. I can feel bumps under some parts of the walls, and am worried what I am going to find when removing the paper. I want completely plain smooth walls to paint onto.

I am going to start removing the wallpaper in one of the rooms this weekend with a scorer and steamer. I wanted to know: in what state should the walls be before I consider getting them re-plastered? I would obviously rather not have them re-plastered, but am worried as it is an old house and the wallpaper looks so thick and old that they might be in need of re-plastering if I wanted a smooth finish.

Once I have removed the wallpaper should I clean the walls with sugarsoap and water?

If the walls are just a bit bumpy and uneven, could I just sand them down and then either paint straight on to them, or would you recommend lining paper (I want very plain, smooth paper if this is the case) and is that hard to put up?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Have just been through that experience. I've done a fair bit of wallpapering so planned to put thick lining paper up. Steamed woodchip off the walls and embossed paper off the ceiling. Spent an age sanding, filling, smoothing etc until it was ready. Put the first two pieces up and it was clear I wouldn't get the finish I was after. By then I'd lost the will to live and got a plasterer in.

I suggest you see what it's like when you've got it all stripped as some surfaces just aren't worth the headache. Newly plastered walls are a pleasure and in my opinion if you can afford it, it's worth the investment.

How old is the house? unless it's a newish house, You'll be lucky if you steam the paper and get the a decent surface to work with. Very Worst cases would be the wallpaper holding the plaster together, and as you take it off plaster will come off with it.

Just do a small room 1st, to try and give you an idea of the problems you face. I suspect you'll end up getting it re-plastered / skimmed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both, the house was built around the 1900's...

What is the difference between plastering and skimming? I have never heard of skimming before.

Thanks

Skimming is just the final finish of plaster - 2mm or so which you'd paint on.

I say re-plastering as that may involve patching up any plaster which is not sound, followed the final skim / plaster coat.

You may get lucky and find it smooth enough to put lining paper on, but probably not likely in a house that old

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back