how to redecorate and blend wallpaper and bare wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to decorate a room in my new house. When removing some bookshelves I found that most of the room has wallpaper and behind the bookshelves is just bare wall. The wall paper is slightly textured.

I want to redecorate and paint the whole room white without removing the wallpaper. Can I paint the small areas of bare wall in such a way that looks a bit textured to match the wallpaper? Or make the wallpaper look less textured to match the bare wall?

Any tips on how to better blend the wallpaper and the bare wall?

Many thanks!!

Sponsored Links
There is only one real answer, do the job properly and strip the wallpaper.
You will regret it if you dont, you can always put new textured lining paper up if thats what you want

I checked but I cannot find any similar wallpaper. I added a picture of the wall. I started covering the edges with filler. f was thinking to paint the bare wall with high pile roller to achieve a textured effect. Then paint all together. I am sure if I use the right paint also will help. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• IMG_20190130_204524.jpg
    IMG_20190130_204524.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
That looks like bog standard woodchip wallpaper to me - available pretty much anywhere. You'd be better off patching it up than stripping because it can be a nightmare to remove. However, you should ideally strip to a joint in the existing paper, or cut a straight vertical line in it, to give yourself something to work to. Even better, strip the whole wall and just paper that so you have the exact texture all over the one wall.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/search?text=woodchip

https://www.diy.com/departments/b-q-white-woodchip-paintable-wallpaper/36698_BQ.prd

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back