Best Method to Remove wallpaper from STUD wall??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I want to remove the wallpaper from a stud wall and paint it, what is the best approach?

Use a scorer and sponge with hot water or use some lining paper over the existing wallpaper and then paint it ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Peal the top surface dry. Start at corner and go slow trying to get the biggest bit off in one go.

Run damp sponge over backing twice over 20 mins and should come off easy

Apply gardz to neutralise paste. Spot fill. Paint

Don't...
People stream and damage wall so bad it needs plastering.

They start in middle vs down bottom corner.

The pull little bits quickly vs slow large pieces.

I tend to start pealing dry vs wet.

If that don't work you may need to wet top surface vs dry but most come off dry

Why do you think it needs scoring?

If the paper is not waterproof I find a garden sprayer, misting the whole wall a couple of times, gets it wet enough. Add a tiny bit of WUL to the water.

If the wall is plasterboard, take care not to damage the paper skin.

Best tip I got from a time served decorator was to score and soak with sponge and leave overnight. Or leaver steamer on overnight. In both cases tough old 1930’s wallpaper just peeled off.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Hello

I want to remove the wallpaper from a stud wall and paint it, what is the best approach?

Use a scorer and sponge with hot water or use some lining paper over the existing wallpaper and then paint it ?

Thanks
Is the stud wall plasterboard?

If so, is the plasterboard 'skimmed' with plaster, or is just bare plasterboard?

Best tip I got from a time served decorator was to score and soak with sponge and leave overnight. Or leaver steamer on overnight. In both cases tough old 1930’s wallpaper just peeled off.

Blup
Surely if left overnight it will be dry by the morning? Whenever I've used a streamer, it runs out of steam after half an hour or so, so I can't see that working.

The safety cut out is triggered when the water runs out.

Blup

What's the point in leaving it on overnight then? Surely it will cut out after about half an hour and then dry out while you sleep?

What's the point in leaving it on overnight then? Surely it will cut out after about half an hour and then dry out while you sleep?

The only way to moisturize over-night, will be to hang lots of wet washing in the room the night before.

What's the point in leaving it on overnight then? Surely it will cut out after about half an hour and then dry out while you sleep?[/QUOT

It had several goes that evening, and was left on, in the morning the water had penetrated and softened the wallpaper, old 1930's stuff, which just peeled off.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back